Focal Press Book Principles of Game Audio & Sound Design PDF
Principles of Game Audio and Sound Design is a comprehensive introduction to the art of sound for games and interactive media using Unity. This accessible guide encompasses both the conceptual challenges of the artform as well as the technical and creative aspects, such as sound design, spatial audio, scripting, implementation and mixing.
Beginning with basic techniques, including linear and interactive sound design, before moving on to advanced techniques, such as procedural audio, Principles of Game Audio and Sound Design is supplemented by a host of digital resources, including a library of ready-to-use, adaptable scripts. This thorough introduction provides the reader with the skills and tools to combat the potential challenges of game audio independently.
Principles of Game Audio and Sound Design is the perfect primer for beginner- to intermediate-level readers with a basic understanding of audio production and Unity who want to learn how to gain a foothold in the exciting world of game and interactive audio.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Introduction
- The Genesis of Audio In Games
- From Sample Playback to Procedural Audio
- How to Use this book
Chapter 2: The Role of Audio in Interactive and Immersive Environments
- Inform, Entertain, Immerse
- Challenges of Game Audio
Chapter 3: The Game Engine Paradigm
- What is a Game Engine
Chapter 4: The Audio Engine and Spatial Audio
- Listener, Audio Clips and Audio Sources
- Audio Localization and Distance Cues
Chapter 5: Sound Design, The Art of Effectively Communicating with Sound
- The Art of Sound Design:
- Basic Techniques
Chapter 6: Practical Sound Design
- Setting Up a Sound Design Session and Signal Flow
- Practical Sound Design and Prototyping
Chapter 7: Coding For Game Audio
- Why Learn to Code?
- An intro to C#: Syntax and Basics
- Playing Audio In Unity
Chapter 8: Implementing Audio: Common Scenarios
- Before You Start: Preparing Your Assets
- Ambiences and Loops
Chapter 9: Environmental Modeling
- What is Environmental Modeling
- Distance Modeling
- Additional Factors
Chapter 10: Procedural Audio: Beyond Samples
- Introduction, benefits and drawbacks.
- Practical Procedural Audio: A Wind Machine and a Sword Collision Model
Chapter 11: Adaptive Mixing
- What’s in a Mix? Inform and Entertain (again).
- The Unity Audio Mixer
- Snapshots, Automation and Game States
- Good Practices
Chapter 12: Audio Data Reduction
- Digital Audio: A Quick Review
- Data Reduction Strategies
- Data Reduction Good Practices
- Data Reduction In Unity